If you're looking for a bold and easy way to decorate your child's birthday cake or cupcakes, look no further. Using stencils, you can spell out a happy birthday message for your child on their cake or cupcakes. Sometimes the best cupcake ideas are the most simple ones.
By the way, you can also follow a step-by-step photo-illustrated version of these instructions.
- Print out these letter and number stencils onto cardstock or make your own using a word-processing program or your own artistic abilities. You could also buy ready-made stencils (compare prices).
- If using the PDF document linked to above, you could print the letters directly onto the decorative paper you want to use. Otherwise, cut out the ones you need from the cardstock. Use a sharp X-Acto knife for the curved letters.
- With your stencils now in hand, trace their shapes onto the decorative paper. Use pencil so you can erase marks later.
- Cut out the letters and/or numbers from the decorative paper.
- Glue the back sides of the letters to the long toothpicks or popsicle sticks. Allow plenty of drying time.
- Once dry, insert the cupcake toppers into your frosted cupcakes or cake. Arrange the cupcakes in the correct order on a tray or table.
- You can usually find a large selection of decorative paper at scrapbooking or craft stores. If you fall in love with a fabric design instead, try scanning the fabric into your computer and printing it out onto cardstock. The cupcake toppers shown here were made using that method. The fabric scanned is by Riley Blake Designs' All-Star line. It's OK to do this as long the cupcake toppers are for personal use and not being made to sell.
What You Need
- Computer and printer or store-bought letter and number stencils
- Cardstock for the printer
- Decorative paper
- Long toothpicks or popsicle sticks
- White Glue
- Scissors and/or an X-Acto knife (compare prices)