Throw a party that celebrates one of summer's favorite treats, the strawberry. This theme will fill your space with a combination bright reds, frilly pinks and sweet berries that are perfect for a girl's party or summer celebration.
1. InvitationsIf you want to let guests know from the start that your party is all about this sweet, red berry, send invitations with a strawberry theme. Ideas for creating your own party invitations include:
- Red cardstock paper, cut into the shape of a strawberry; decorated on the front with the party information printed on the back.
- Pink cardstock, folded into notecards, or blank, store-bought notecards; decorated with strawberry stamps or stickers.
- A postcard photo of your child in a strawberry patch.
- Pink printer paper, decorated with strawberry clipart. Roll the paper into a scroll and tie it with strawberry-printed ribbon.
One of the nice things about a strawberry theme party is how many of the decorations can be made by hand; with the help of a few supplies. This berry offers a color scheme of red and green, which can be mixed with black, white or pink complements.
- Cut cardboard into the shapes of large strawberries. Line the pathway to the party with these strawberry “stepping stones” (tape them down to hold in place and prevent tripping).
- Arrange the strawberry pavers in a hopscotch pattern and use a plastic strawberry as the rock so guests can hopscotch their way to the entrance.
- Arrange additional strawberry cutouts on the floor of the party space. Attach others to the seats of the dining chairs.
- Create a Strawberry Patch: Hang green streamers from archways and doorways, and attach small, cardstock strawberries to the bottoms of the streamers. Fill pink and red balloons with helium, and tie long lengths of green curling ribbon to the ends. Attach cardstock strawberries to the ribbons, and let the balloons float up to the ceiling so that the strawberries dangle from the ribbon “vines.”
- Tie balloons that match your color scheme to the backs of chairs.
- Dress the party table with a pink tablecloth. Set the table with pink, red and green plates, cups and napkins.
- Use rubber stamps to create a strawberry pattern on paper placemats.
- Display a strawberry shortcake on a pedestal stand, or strawberry topped cupcakes on a cupcake stand, to serve as the centerpiece.
- Tape toothpicks to the back of the place cards and pierce into real strawberries.
- Scatter fruit snacks and strawberry wrapped, hard candy as table confetti.
3. Games and Crafts
In addition to strawberry hopscotch, these games and crafts fit the theme for party activities.
- Musical strawberries: Tape large, strawberry shaped cutouts to the seats of chairs and play musical chairs.
- Use strawberry-shaped beads to string bracelets and necklaces.
- Fill a clear, acrylic vase or bowl with strawberry wrapped, hard candies. Have guests guess how many candies are in the vase. Award the candy-filled vase to the person with the most accurate guess.
- Strawberry-themed, rubber stamping art.
5. FavorsIt's always nice to fin party elements that serve double-duty. These favor ideas, for instance, can also work as decorative elements in your party space.
These hats are made with little girls in mind. Use them as decorations, or for guests to wear at a strawberry tea party. Purchase pink, straw hats and glue strawberry printed ribbons around the brims. Glue a strawberry cutout to the ribbon. To display them before handing them out as favors, hang one on the back of each chair at the party table.
Strawberry Lollipop Flowers
These favors also serve as a party decoration when displayed during the party. To make the lollipops, skewer chocolate covered strawberries on lollipop sticks. Then, paint a window sized planter box pink and embellish it with strawberry stencils or stickers. Plac a foam block inside the window box and cover with artificial grass. Push the bottoms of the lollipop sticks into the foam to “plant” the chocolate covered strawberry “flower pops.” Place the planter by the door and remind guests to pick one as they leave.