My daughters stayed up a bit past their bedtime tonight so we could bake our first batch of Halloween cookies for the year. I'm trying not to calculate how much butter I consumed in the last two hours and I'm ignoring the layer of flour that's covering the kitchen floor right now, but it was all worth it to see the girls get into the holiday spirit.
We kept our Halloween cookies simple--just cream cheese cutouts shaped like pumpkins and the letters B-O-O. We'll frost them tomorrow and add sprinkles, which are must when you are 2 and 5 years old.
There are so many clever ways to make Halloween cookies. Here are some ideas from around the Web:
- Tombstone cookies inside small cups of dirt dessert from Sunset magazine.
- 3-D Halloween cookie cutters from Nordicware (compare prices) Boo-tiful black and white cookies from Good Housekeeping (photo No. 4 in the slideshow)
- Many cute Halloween cookie ideas from Land o' Lakes butter (there I go with the butter again). Love those owl cookies with cashew noses!
- Dismembered finger cookies from The Kids Birthday Fun Review
- Pumpkin cookies from Health.com that look and taste like pumpkin (those are next on my to-bake list)
What are your favorite Halloween cookies to make? Seen any neat ideas you'd like to try this year?