A few months ago, I answered a reader's question about how to host a classic picnic party in her backyard. I loved coming up with ideas for that, like wrapping water bottles in red-and-white checkered labels, making ice cream from scratch and building a bean-bag toss game shaped like an apple tree.
With it being county fair season around the U.S., I thought it'd be fun to round up some parties with an old-fashioned feel. You could use these themes and decorating ideas for a birthday bash, family reunion, Labor Day get together or any end-of-summer gathering.
- Checkered tablecloths, blueberry pie and a tractor logo helped set the scene at this picnic party featured last summer on Project Nursery.
- A vintage-inspired summer picnic on Party Love.
- A charming cowgirl birthday from TomKat Studio.
- Vintage red, white and blue summer party supplies from Chippy Shabby.
- A county fair-themed table setting from Elizabeth Anne Designs.
- Peaches-and-cream-on-the-farm party from Juicy Bits. (And don't miss part 2 of that party.)
- Three posts from The Sweetest Occasion: a backyard baby shower, an easy and sweet fabric chandelier tutorial, and simple Black-Eyed Susan decorations.
- Vintage-inspired carnival ticket invitations from A Genuine Joy.
- Berry sweet birthday party invitations from Lora Lee Lewis.
- And gingham cupcake toppers from Oh Buckets.