There's no doubt that many kids will start asking for Despicable Me birthday parties, and I don't blame them. You could have a lot of fun with this one.
Start by reading my spy party ideas. Even though the main character, Gru, isn't a spy, some of the activities and decorations overlap.
Here are some other ideas that come to mind:
- I predict that Gru's minions, the little yellow creatures that help him carry out his evil deeds, will be the big hit that comes out of this movie. How about serving minion cake pops? Frost them yellow, then place chocolate Cheerios (for goggles) and a few sprouts of black licorice laces (for hair) on each one. Note: some minions have one eye and others have two. Mix it up a bit.
- If you're looking for something healthier to serve, cut several bananas in half, leaving the peels on, and pack them together upright and tightly on a tray or bowl to resemble a crowd of minions.
- For favors, sew each child a grey and black-striped scarf, like the one Gru wears. If you can find a grey and white-striped jersey knit fabric, you won't even have to sew. Just cut the fabric into the lengths you need, since jersey knits don't fray.
- One great thing about Despicable Me is that it has elements that appeal to traditional girl interests and elements that appeal to traditional boy interests. The sisters in the film dance ballet, so you could give tutus as favors. The villians have a rivalry over their guns (including one that shoots squid), so you could give water guns as favors.
- Gru's main goal in the film is to steal the moon. Your birthday cake could be shaped like the moon, either using a sphere-shaped cake pan (compare prices) or a flat round one.
- For games, you could play pin the goggles on the minions, pin the pointy nose on Gru or divide the kids into two groups--Team Gru and Team Vector--and let them compete in a relay race or obstacle course.
- To decorate, float yellow, latex, helium-filled balloons around your house. Using a permanent-ink marker, draw black goggles and blue overalls on each one, again resembling the minions.
Has anyone else seen the movie? What ideas do you have for a Despicable Me birthday party?